An Overview of the Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Houses of Worship
Facilitator: Reverend David L. Myers, Sr. Advisor to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Administrator Fugate
and Director, U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Center for Faith-based & Neighborhood Partnerships
- Melissa Rogers, Special Assistant to the President and Executive Director, White
House Office of Faith-based & Neighborhood Partnerships
- John Cohen, Principal Deputy Coordinator for Counterterrorism, DHS
- Jeff Afman, Director, Office of Counterterrorism and Security Preparedness, FEMA
Protection and National Preparedness
- Donald Lumpkins, Director, National Integration Center, FEMA Protection and
- Andrea T. Schultz, CPP, Chief, Commercial Facilities Section, DHS Office of
- Marcus Coleman, Program Specialist, FEMA Individual Community Preparedness
- Mike Miron, Director, Homeland Security Advisory Council
- Paul Goldenberg, President, Secure Community Network
- Katie Oldaker, Director, Disaster Response, Catholic Charities, USA
- Salam Marayati, President, Muslim Public Affairs Council
- Jasjit Singh, Executive Director, Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund
To Watch a Video Recording of the presentation, click
On Thursday July 25, 2013, the U.S. Department
of Education’s (ED) Office of Safe and Healthy Students (OSHS) with its REMS TA Center and FEMA hosted Webinar that provided an overview
of the Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Houses of Worship.
In January 2013, President Obama put forward his “Now is the Time” plan to
reduce gun violence. One of the executive actions put forth in his plan was the
development of this new guide by ED, DHS, led by FEMA, the U.S. Department
Justice, led by the Federal Bureau of Investigation; and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. This guide
will help houses of worship develop and implement high-quality emergency
operations plans (EOPs), and describes the principles and processes that will
help ensure planning efforts are aligned with the emergency planning practices
at the national, state, and local levels.
This Webinar provided an overview of:
- the key principles for developing a comprehensive EOP for a house of worship;
- the planning process for developing, implementing, and refining an EOP for a
house of worship;
- the form, function, and content of an EOP plan for a house of worship; and
- topics that support emergency operations planning including, but not limited to,
key hazards to plan for.
This Webinar included presentations on the guide, a brief question and answer
session, and information on how to access more information and resources.
All Webinar recordings are played back through
either Adobe Connect Pro using an online Internet connection or
through a video player on your screen.