Access resources from the REMS TA Center, the U.S. Department of Education, and Federal agency partners on key topics in K-12 and higher ed emergency management.Find Topic-Specific Resources
Public Health, Medical, and Mental Health Annex
Plan the courses of action that the school will implement to address emergency medical (e.g., first aid), public health, and mental health counseling issues. Schools should coordinate these efforts with the appropriate emergency medical services, public health, mental health, law enforcement, fire department, and emergency management representatives. Mental health needs after an emergency will be addressed in the Recovery Annex.
The planning team should consider the following when developing its goals, objectives, and courses of action:
- What the role of staff members is in providing first aid during an emergency.
- Where emergency medical supplies (e.g., first aid kits, AEDs) will be located and who is responsible for purchasing and maintaining those materials.
- Which staff have relevant training or experience, such as in first aid or CPR.
- How the school will secure a sufficient number of counselors in the event of an emergency.
- How the school will promptly share and report information about outbreaks or epidemics or other unusual medical situations to the local health department.
- How the school will support the needs of students identified by the threat assessment team.