Visit our official Twitter page to receive news and updates on free trainings and resources for higher ed and school emergency management and preparedness.Follow us on Twitter
An Overview of the Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Houses of Worship
- Melissa Rogers, Special Assistant to the President Executive Director, White House Office of Faith-based & Neighborhood PartnershipsJohn Cohen, Principal Deputy Coordinator for Counterterrorism, DHSJeff Afman, Director, Office of Counterterrorism Security Preparedness, FEMA Protection National PreparednessDonald Lumpkins, Director, National Integration Center, FEMA Protection National PreparednessAndrea T. Schultz, CPP, Chief, Commercial Facilities Section, DHS Office of Infrastructure ProtectionMarcus Coleman, Program Specialist, FEMA Individual Community Preparedness DivisionMike Miron, Director, Homel Security Advisory CouncilPaul Goldenberg, President, Secure Community NetworkKatie Oldaker, Director, Disaster Response, Catholic Charities, USASalam Marayati, President, Muslim Public Affairs CouncilJasjit Singh, Executive Director, Sikh American Legal Defense Education Fund
On Thursday July 25, 2013, the U.S. Department of Education’s (ED) Office of Safe and Healthy Students (OSHS) with its REMS TA Center and FEMA hosted Webinar that provided an overview of the Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Houses of Worship.
In January 2013, President Obama put forward his “Now is the Time” plan to reduce gun violence. One of the executive actions put forth in his plan was the development of this new guide by ED, DHS, led by FEMA, the U.S. Department Justice, led by the Federal Bureau of Investigation; and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. This guide will help houses of worship develop and implement high-quality emergency operations plans (EOPs), and describes the principles and processes that will help ensure planning efforts are aligned with the emergency planning practices at the national, state, and local levels.
This Webinar provided an overview of:
- the key principles for developing a comprehensive EOP for a house of worship;
- the planning process for developing, implementing, and refining an EOP for a house of worship;
- the form, function, and content of an EOP plan for a house of worship; and
- topics that support emergency operations planning including, but not limited to, key hazards to plan for.
This Webinar included presentations on the guide, a brief question and answer session, and information on how to access more information and resources.