Access resources from the REMS TA Center, the U.S. Department of Education, and Federal agency partners on key topics in K-12 and higher ed emergency management.Find Topic-Specific Resources
Family Reunification Annex
Plan how students will be reunited with their families or guardians.
The planning team should consider the following when developing goals, objectives, and courses of action:
- How to inform families and guardians about the reunification process in advance, and how to clearly describe their roles and responsibilities in reunification.
- How to verify that an adult is authorized to take custody of a student.
- How to facilitate communication between the parent check-in and the student assembly and reunion areas.
- How to ensure students do not leave on their own.
- How to protect the privacy of students and parents from the media.
- How to reduce confusion during the reunification process.
- How frequently families will be updated.
- How to account for technology barriers faced by students, staff, parents, and guardians.
- How to effectively address language access barriers faced by students, staff, parents, and guardians.