The U.S. Department of Education, the Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center, and our Federal partners have created a variety of publications to assist local educational agencies (LEAs) and institutions of higher education (IHEs) with their emergency management efforts. All publications support an all-hazards approach to collaborative school emergency management that is guided by the four phases (prevention - mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery) and integrates the needs of people with disabilities.
- General ED Publications - This page includes links to the primary emergency management publications that have been created by the U.S. Department of Education and our REMS TA Center over the past ten years. All are available free online for download or printing.
- Helpful Hints - Includes short publications designed to offer a quick overview of school emergency preparedness topics that are frequently the subject of technical assistance inquiries.
- Lessons Learned - This page features a series of publications that offer a brief recounting of actual school or higher education emergencies and crises.
- Success Stories - A series prepared by the Office of Safe and Healthy Students (OSHS) and the REMS TA Center that offer brief profiles of specific activities, tools, or strategies developed or utilized by school districts or institutions of higher education that have been successful for schools or colleges across the country, and could be replicated by other sites.
- REMSExpress - A newsletter that provides comprehensive information on key issues in school emergency management.