About the Campaign
The Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center is proud to participate along with the Federal Emergency Management
Agency (FEMA) and our Federal family in America’s PrepareAthon!, a nationwide, community-based action
campaign aimed at increasing emergency preparedness and resilience. The nation’s fall America’s PrepareAthon! activities include National Preparedness Month in September,
and National PrepareAthon Day!, to be held on September 30. National Preparedness Month serves as a reminder that we all must take action to prepare for the types of
emergencies that could affect us where we live, work, and also where we visit. Below are the weekly themes for National Preparedness Month:
- Promote NPM: August 28-September 3 Kickoff to National Preparedness Month
- Week 2: September 4-10 Preparing with Family & Friends
- Week 3: September 11-17 Preparing Through Service
- Week 4: September 18-24 Individual Preparedness
- Week 5: September 25-30 Lead up to National PrepareAthon Day
Participate Through the REMS TA Center
- As a part of these national events, we will host weekly Twitter chats on the following days and times:
- September 1, 2 PM ET – Week 1: Kick-off week to National Preparedness Month. Join us for a Twitter Chat to promote participation in National
Preparedness Month among K-12 schools and school districts and IHEs. Use #PrepareAthonforSchools (K-12) and #CampusPrepareAthon (IHEs) to chat.
- September 8, 2 PM ET – Week 2: Preparing Family and Friends. Join us for a Twitter chat to share ideas you can use to engage friends and family in
preparedness activities during the back-to-school season. Use #PrepForSchool to chat.
- September 15, 2 PM ET – Week 3: Preparing Through Service. Join us for a Twitter Chat to share ideas on how you work with community organizations
or neighbors in your school community to support each other in preparedness. Use #WholeSchoolCommunity to chat.
- September 22, 2 PM ET – Week 4: Focus on Individual Preparedness. Join us for a Twitter Chat to share ideas on how you can ensure equity and access
when promoting individual preparedness. Use #PrepStartsWithYou to chat.
- September 29, 2 PM ET – Week 5: Lead up to 30th, National Preparedness Day. Join us for a Twitter Chat with @PrepareAthon where they will share
how schools, districts and IHEs can register activities on the FEMA Website and offer states a chance to share chances for staff and
students to participate in local events before and on National PrepareAthon Day. Use #NatlPrep to chat.
Participate Through FEMA
follow the conversation #PrepareAthon
, and #NationalPreparednessMonth
Community of Practice: rems.ed.gov/CoP/Account/Register.aspx